Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bargain?

Let's talk money shall we?
I love looking for blogs with great craft/decor ideas  
that are cheap and affordable.
The hubby and I just bought a house last year,
we have bare walls and not a ton of money,
we are trying to install a yard this summer
that our builder was supposed to help pay for
but that is another story for another time.
The problem I have with these blogs is when they say
hey I have a cheap but great idea
for such and such project,
I get so excited my heart starts beating a little faster and I get a
rush of Adrenalin.
I start looking at the project and think this is exactly what I was looking for.
The tutorial looks super easy.
Then it shows all of the supplies...awesome! 
Then how much it cost.
What the?! That project cost $100 and that is considered cheap?
I start thinking well I couldn't buy something like that
for $100 so I guess it is a great deal but honestly where
am I going to come up with a 100 bucks to make this
thing that would be perfect in my house?
Does this make me cheap? Am I being unreasonable?
I understand that it kind of depends on the item being made, but
still a cheap project to me is like 20 bucks!
I am a bargain hunter from hell and so for me to drop 100 bucks
I must really love something or know that is the best deal I could
ever find. Even after I make the decision I still have to save my money
and think about the purchase forever.
If I am going to make the item then
it better be super duper affordable.
Thoughts??

1 comment:

  1. Jen! I am the same way. I found some cute blocks I wanted to make for a friend who is having a baby, I went to The wood connection (one of my favorite stores!)and the blocks alone would have been about $40.00. I was not going to spend that, plus all the suppplies. I tought about it, and decided to go to Home Depot. I got all the wood i needed (plus enough to make me something) for $2.00. and they cut th wood for me for free. The only bad part was (which wasnt that bad at all) was I had to sand the blocks, but they were not hard at all. I would definantly try a hardware store for some supplies over a craft store. Also, My sisters and I get together every month, and do a craft, its usually $25.00 each time, If you take a look at my blog, there is a "HOME" (with the different O's) and there is a Grinch, those I made with them. Its nice, they go and pick up EVERYTHING you need, and its cheaper if you do it in a group, beacuse then you dont have left over supplies that you wont use, and the supplies they add into the price, so its just $25 flat. If you want an invite next time (they usually do it Saturday afternoons-and do a pot luck with it) I will let you know when, where, and what we are doing. Your more than welcome to come.

    Sorry for the long novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete