Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My go-to meal for a weeknight

I just wanted to share one of my favorite go-to dinners for a busy night or a night that I just don't want to make a big complicated meal. My dad used to make this dinner a lot and we loved it. Now the hubs loves it. I apologize for the pictures I am still using just a small point and shoot and I promise it really does look and taste yummy.

Sweet and Sour Sausage

Ingredients
Sausage (we use Hillshire Farm smoked sausage in the U shape)
Veggies (we like green peppers, sometimes other colors, onions, carrots and boccoli my dad and I like pineapple in it but Adam does not care for it so I usually leave it out)
Sweet and Sour sauce (someday I will attempt to make my own but we are going for simplicity)
Rice

















First cut up the veggies and set them aside. Next cut up the sausage I like to slice it into circles. Then start your rice.











Put the sausage in the skillet and stir fry until a golden brown 
Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside. Next throw the veggies in the skillet, you may want to add a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil if it seems a little dry. Stir Fry the veggies until tender.

When the veggies are good everyone goes back into the pan. Give it a little stir and add your sweet and sour sauce. Mix it until everything is easily coated and turn down the heat and cover for a few minutes. The sauce will thicken a little and it gives the rice a few more minutes to cook.
Doesn't it look yummy? I love how colorful it is with all of the veggies and it smells delicious while cooking.
(Don't you love how you can see the steam?) Serve over rice and enjoy. 
That really is hubby's "mmmm, yummy" face.






No comments:

Post a Comment